My Blog List

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fitting The Pieces Together

One of the thing that is important for any instructional designer to know is the nature of not only the learner in general but also the nature of specific learners and the fact that different people approach learning tasks in different ways.  It is important in any instructional designed learning environment that you account for those differences and take them into consideration (Ormrod, n.d.).

There are several things that people should be aware of about learning styles. There are some learning styles that have been recognized as being legitimate differences in approaches to learning that people take. For example, some people do tend to be more visual learners. They remember a lot by seeing it. Other people tend to be more verbally oriented. They tend to remember more of what they hear. In a class learning environment, you should have both the verbal and the visual simultaneously, and everybody's happy (Ormrod, n.d.).

I am a visual learner and it has not changed after reading about the other styles of learners. Once I am introduced to a lesson visually, I am able to retain a large percentage of what I saw in order to give back to the teacher that taught the lesson. Most of my students learn the same way.  Sometimes a lesson has to be presented more than once, but when they are able to visually catch the vision, the lesson taught stays with them.  I can test them on the lesson a week later, and they still will be able to recall it because of what they have learned visually.

Technology plays a vital role into my learning ability.  I know that if I am able to learn more strategical ways of using technology within my classroom, that I will be able to inspire my students to want to learn.  Most students are very familiar with various games of technology, so it will be easy to help them to learn various skills through using technology that will prepare them for life.

Today, most teachers have not only been exposed to the internet but also have access at home or at school.  Research is the number one reason to use internet in education. Students have a wealth of information open to them.  Often when they are researching obscure topics, school libraries do not have the needed books and magazines.  The internet helps to solve this problem (Kelly, 2011).

1 comment: